Guest Guidelines and Code of Conduct
Lincoln Park Zoo is committed to creating an environment that is inclusive and welcoming. We celebrate the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, values, and experiences of all people.
Creating a safe, welcoming space for all is a responsibility for everyone.
We expect guests, staff, and volunteers to treat one another—as well as zoo animals and grounds—with respect and care. By visiting the zoo, you agree to adhere to our code of conduct and visitor guidelines, which help protect both people and animals.
Communicate with respect.
Harassment, obscenity, hate speech, racism, offensive gestures, or otherwise abusive treatment of any other guest, staff member, or volunteer will not be tolerated.
Respect the animals and grounds.
Respect all fences and barriers. Do not enter animal habitats, climb fences, feed animals, or toss items into habitats or gardens.
Trust our expertise.
Human behavior in general can affect animal welfare. If a staff member or volunteer asks you to comply with a policy, please do. It’s in the interest of the animals in our care.
Follow local and federal laws.
This includes applicable public health guidelines, especially those pertinent to the potential transmission of zoonotic disease (bacteria and viruses that can travel between humans and animals).
Any guest found in violation of the above code of conduct will be asked to change their behavior. If the behavior continues, the guest may be asked to leave zoo grounds. Lincoln Park Zoo reserves the right to involve law enforcement, change membership status, or take other steps as needed.
Please note Lincoln Park Zoo uses video surveillance for security purposes.
Lincoln Park Zoo Guest Guidelines
Please follow these rules during your visit:
- Lincoln Park Zoo adheres to current Center for Disease Control, city, and state health regulations. Please follow local guidelines during your visit.
- Adhere to all federal, state, and local laws, as well as applicable government health and safety guidelines.
- Assault and disorderly conduct are prohibited by criminal law and will be prosecuted.
- For the safety of our visitors, staff, volunteers, and animals, all persons may be subject to a security screening upon entry to Lincoln Park Zoo. This includes, but is not limited to, inspection of persons, bags, purses, strollers, packages, and other items carrying personal belongings.
- Firearms, knives, or weapons of any kind are prohibited, except for law enforcement personnel. Lincoln Park Zoo is a prohibited area under Section 65 of the Firearm Concealed Carry Act. Individuals licensed to carry a concealed firearm are prohibited from carrying a firearm on zoo grounds or into any zoo building.
- The possession, use, or selling of illegal drugs is prohibited.
- Lincoln Park Zoo is a smoke-free environment, including e-cigarettes/vaping.
- Laser pointers, noisemakers, fireworks, or explosives are prohibited.
- Guests are allowed to bring their own food and drink to the zoo. However, alcoholic beverages not provided by the zoo are prohibited due to Illinois Liquor Control Commission rules. Outside food and beverages are not permitted at ticketed zoo events.
- Respect all fences and barriers. DO NOT ENTER ANIMAL HABITATS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- Respect the animals. Do not feed animals, toss or throw items at animals or into habitats, shout at animals, or tap/bang on glass enclosures.
- Do not litter. Please place trash and recyclables in the appropriate container.
- Leave flowers where they’re growing; do not pick flowers or otherwise damage gardens or tamper with plant life.
- Fishing is prohibited in all bodies of water in and around the zoo, including the pond at Nature Boardwalk.
- Riding bicycles, rollerblades, roller skates, scooters, or skateboards is prohibited.
- Drones, frisbees, balloons, and other airborne devices are prohibited.
- Commercial and professional photography is prohibited without a permit from Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Distribution of propaganda, flyers, pamphlets, or other literature is not allowed on zoo property unless it has been authorized by Lincoln Park Zoo.
- Pets are not allowed on zoo grounds. Working service animals are permitted, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- No solicitation.
These guidelines are subject to change without notice. Thank you for helping us create a safe, welcoming zoo experience.
For Wildlife. For All.