Spoonbill Naming Contest
There’s a new chick on the block at Regenstein African Journey. An African spoonbill chick hatched on January 22, and Lincoln Park Zoo needs your help to name the feathery addition! A special thank you to Lincoln Park Zoo members for submitting unique names. After careful thought and consideration, Animal Care staff narrowed the list down to their top five names. Cast your vote for your favorite name, below!
- Kijiko (kee-jee-ko), the translation of “spoon” in Swahili – Submitted by multiple zoo members
- Lukabelle, a combination of parents Luke and Annabelle – Submitted by multiple members
- Alba, for the spoonbill latin name, Platalea alba – Submitted by Pat
- River, for the spoonbill’s native river habitat and Spoon River in Illinois – Submitted by Lee
- Kazinga, for the Kazinga Channel in Uganda where spoonbills can be found – Submitted by Tuula
Participants can vote once and voting closes at midnight on February 24.