Lincoln Park Zoo Chimps Celebrate Milestone Birthdays
(Chicago – June 27, 2013) Two Lincoln Park Zoo chimpanzees celebrated milestone birthdays with veggie-and-fruit-filled birthday “cakes” on Thursday. Keo, the oldest male chimpanzee in an accredited zoo, celebrated 55 years, while his troop mate Vicky had her own golden birthday of 50 years.
The senior apes enjoyed 750-pound ice cakes packed with nutritious treats like carrots, kale, and strawberries courtesy of Nadeau Ice Sculptures.
The mood was festive, and the real excitement came when one of the cakes was toppled to reveal the bounty within. Vicky and her 33-year-old daughter, Kibali, used sticks found in their yard to break into the cake and target their favorite goodies.
“These significant birthdays are testaments to the advances in geriatric care at zoos and aquariums,” said Lincoln Park Zoo Curator of Primates Maureen Leahy. “We are able to provide seniors like Keo and Vicky with the lifetime care they need and deserve. And judging by today, their golden years here in Chicago are going pretty well!”
To put the birthdays into perspective, the median life expectancy for a male chimpanzee is 31.7 years and 38.7 years for a female. If Keo and Vicky’s ages were to be converted to human years, both animals would be in their 90s.
Both chimpanzees celebrated on the same day, although the exact days they were born are unknown. Both chimps were born in Africa and have lived at Lincoln Park Zoo for most of their lives.
ABOUT LINCOLN PARK ZOO
Lincoln Park Zoo, a historic Chicago landmark founded in 1868, is dedicated to connecting people with nature by providing a free, family-oriented wildlife experience. A leader in conservation science both globally and locally, the zoo exemplifies the highest quality animal care and educational outreach. The not-for-profit zoo, managed by The Lincoln Park Zoological Society, is a member-supported organization and one of the nation’s only free, privately managed zoos. For more information, call 312 -742-2000 or visit www.lpzoo.org.
Click here to download Quicktime video. (.MOV, 168MB)
Photos and Video credited to Todd Rosenberg / Lincoln Park Zoo June 27, 2013
- About Us
- Capital and Programmatic Planning
- Construction Project Bidding
- Contact Us
- Press Room
- Rattlesnake Press Materials
- Ornate Box Turtles Press Materials
- Cygnet Press Materials
- Klipspringer Press Materials
- Crowned Lemur Press Materials
- Polar Bear and Penguin Press Materials
- Heart Disease Awareness Month Press Materials
- ZooLights Presented by ComEd and Charter One Press Materials
- Keo Memorial
- Black Rhino Name Debut
- Black Rhino Birth
- White-Cheeked Gibbon Baby
- Gorilla Debut
- Sizzling Salsa Nights
- Gorilla Reunion
- Chimpanzee Birthday
- New Exhibit Plans
- Local Wildlife Reintroduction
- Swan Hatchlings
- Baby Gorilla Nayembi Thriving
- Gorilla Baby Update
- St. Patrick's Day 2013
- Baby Takins Press Materials
- Second Baby Gorilla Press Materials
- Baby Gorilla Press Materials
- Zebra Press Materials
- Titi Monkey Press Materials
- Bali Mynah Press Materials
- Turtle Hatchling Press Materials
- Gorilla Group Changes Press Materials
- Gibbon Press Materials
- Sloth Press Materials
- Adelor Memorial