Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Celebrate Chi-cow-go at Lincoln Park Zoo!
In honor of Chicago's 175th birthday this year, the zoo will host a special bovine-themed celebration on July 24. The day will include the unveiling of a colorful cow statue painted by zoo volunteers as well as Chicago-themed enrichment for animals throughout zoo grounds.
What to Expect
Chicago and cows go hand in hand. From Mrs. O’Leary’s famous lantern-kicker to the charging Bulls of United Center, the cud-chewing farm animal is practically the city's mascot.
The fun kicks off at the Farm-in-the-Zoo at 10 a.m. with the unveiling of the statue—featuring a muraled surface depicting city views from the zoo—that was originally part of the citywide “Cows on Parade” public art exhibit in 1999. Stick around the Farm-in-the-Zoo to see the animals take whacks at special Windy City-themed piñatas: a CNA building for the ponies, the Adler Planetarium for the steers and sheep, and hot dogs and deep-dish pizza for the goats.
The festivities don’t end at the farm. Animals throughout the zoo will also receive edible piñatas in the shape of Chicago's most iconic buildings, sculptures and snacks.
Schedule of Events
Unveiling of cow statue at the Farm-in-the-Zoo
Windy City enrichment for Farm-in-the-Zoo animals begins
Meet a chicken
Windy City enrichment for animals throughout zoo:
- Noon: Gibbons at Helen C. Brach Primate House with Chase Bank Building
- 12:30 p.m.: Lynx at Kovler Lion House with Chicago-style hot dogs
- 1 p.m.: Andean bear at McCormick Bear Habitat with Art Institute Lion Sculpture
- 1:30 p.m.: Meerkats at Regenstein African Journey with deep-dish pizza
- 2 p.m.: Gorillas at Regenstein Center for African Apes with Daley Plaza Picasso Sculpture
- 2:30 p.m.: Zebras at Antelope-Zebra Area with the Merchandise Mart
- 3 p.m.: Black bears at Pritzker Family Children's Zoo with a classic Chicago bungalow
- 3:30 p.m.: Dwarf mongoose at Regenstein Small Mammal-Reptile House with a CTA train
- 4 p.m.: Chimpanzees at Regenstein Center for African Apes with the Hancock tower