Celebrating the Calendar—and Our Veterans
On November 11, 2011, Lincoln Park Zoo celebrated two special events. The first and most significant was Veterans Day, a day where we honor the sacrifices service members have made for our country. The second was a once-in-a-century celebration of the calendar itself, recognizing the numerical fun of 11.11.11 (with extra oomph at 11:11 a.m.).
Guests joined us onNovember 11 for special discounts on parking, rides and ADOPT-an-Animal packages. Veterans and their families enjoyed extra discounts as well as free tours and opportunities to feed the zoo’s giraffes—all part of our appreciation for their service.
Special Recognition for Veterans
On Veterans Day, all veterans who brought proof of service enjoyed the following benefits for themselves and their families:
- 11 percent discount on food and retail items
- 20 percent discount on new memberships
- Exclusive opportunity to feed the zoo’s Baringo giraffes at 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. (limit 10 per feeding)
- Special tours sharing zoo conservation success stories, including bald eagles, red wolves and the wildlife of the Serengeti. Noon and 1 p.m. (limit 12 per tour)
Registration for feedings and tours took place at Gateway Pavilion on November 11.
Discounts for Visitors
To celebrate the calendar lining up on the 11s, Lincoln Park Zoo visitors enjoyed one-day discounts:
- Rides on the AT&T Endangered Species Carousel were be just 11 cents
- 16-ounce soft drinks were discounted to $1.11
- Until 5 p.m., parking was only $11
- $11 armadillo and turtle ADOPT-an-Animal packages were available on zoo grounds
What else? The first 11 visitors to the Wild Things Gift Shop receiveda free goody bag! And the 11 a.m. Meet an Animal session at Regenstein Small Mammal–Reptile House highlighted the body armor of turtles and armadillos—and free copies of the Fall 2011 Lincoln Park Zoo magazine, 365: World-Class Care by the Numbers.
Honoring Lincoln Park Zoo Veterans
Lincoln Park Zoo would like to honor the following zoo employees and volunteers for their service to our country.
Veterans Feed the Giraffes on 11.11.11
365: World-Class Care By the Numbers