Conservation & Science Staff Bios
Cara Groome Bryan
Consulting Population Biologist
Population Management Center
- M.Sc. - Biodiversity and Conservation, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
- B.Sc. - Zoology, University College Dublin, Ireland
Areas of Expertise
- Small population management
- Pedigree analysis and development of pedigree assumptions
- Population management of group-living species
About Cara Groome Bryan:
Cara has been with the Population Management Center (PMC) since 2008, serving as a scientific advisor for the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ (AZA) cooperatively managed animal populations. As a PMC population biologist, she is responsible for conducting genetic and demographic analyses and preparing breeding and transfer plans for nearly 400 species managed in more than 200 AZA-accredited zoos.
In addition to advising zoo population managers, Cara contributes to the development of population management software and research on small population management methodology.
Prior to joining the PMC, Cara worked various zookeeping positions at Lincoln Park Zoo and Brookfield Zoo and was a biochemist in the biotechnology sector.