Lincoln Park Zoo is seeking individuals who want to inspire children to study, love, and protect animals and the environment. We are looking for teens who are ready to undertake new and exciting challenges while gaining experience working with and educating children. Camp Teen Volunteers (CTVs) will be responsible for supporting Conservation Camp groups by assisting Camp Instructors with day-to-day tasks. CTVs will work closely with children in PreK-4th grade. CTVs entering Junior year and above may also work with children entering 5th-8th grade in our Zoo Crew program.
This volunteer position offers the opportunity to grow and develop as a professional educator. Through observation, training, professional development, and learning from mentors, teens will gain valuable skills as well as feed their own love of animals and science by remaining engaged in the general day-to-day activities involved in camp. Camp Instructors will coach and mentor CTVs throughout their session. CTVs have the opportunity to participate in the Chicago City of Learning badge program and receive service hours for their time.
CTVs will perform a variety of duties over their 3 week session including, but not limited to:
- Offer support in many areas, including by not limited to: set-up and break-down of activities, aiding with camp games and lessons, and general daily trouble-shooting as needed.
- Assist Camp Instructors in maintaining a safe, well-managed camp group.
- Participate and show interest in scheduled camp activities (keeper chats, trainings, and meet an animals)
- Assist with daily check-in and check-out procedures for campers.
- Work alongside instructors to help their camp groups as needed.
- Participate in professional development sessions with Camp Coordinator/Camp Assistant
Requirements for Eligibility
- Must be enrolled in high school or entering in the fall and enter 9, 10, 11, 12, or college freshman year.
- Must be between 13 and 18 years old
- Have a positive attitude and adhere to Lincoln Park Zoo policies, procedures and guest-service standards.
- Must be comfortable standing and traversing zoo grounds in all weather conditions.
- Must have an interest in working with children
- Have an interest in animals, nature, and/or science
- Work well with others in a team setting
- Have proven to be trustworthy and punctual
- Ability to communicate clearly with supervisor and co-workers
- Great sense of humor and possess excellent patience
- Complete an online application
- Successfully complete an interview with the Learning Department.
- Attend and complete training.
How to Apply
To apply for a Camp Teen Volunteer Position, please complete the online application. Applications and application documents are due by March 31, 2017.
Questions? Contact us at 312-465-6227 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Compensation and Time Commitment
Each Camp Teen Volunteer attends for one three-week long session in the summer. The session options are:
Session 1: June 19–July 14, 2017 (July 3-7, 2017 there is no camp due to holiday)
Session 2: July 17–August 4, 2017
Session 3: August 7–25, 2017
Note: Not all schools are on summer break during the entire program dates. Please check your school’s schedule before applying to a particular CTV session.
Shifts are Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
CTVs must commit to volunteering every weekday during their three-week session; exceptions are made for illness and family emergencies.
CTV training will occur on the first day of each CTV session for a half day.
This is an unpaid, service-learning education volunteer position.
Frequently Asked Questions